We currently seek an individual to become part of our Apprentice DJ program. The program provides an individual with training, mentoring, and oversight, as well as opportunities to practice DJing. Over time, the Apprentice DJ will advance to a paid DJ position.
This is an excellent opportunity to receive high-quality training and invaluable real-time experience as a West Coast Swing DJ. Our DJs are experienced DJing both contests and socials at local, national, and international WCS events.
In return for receiving training and mentorship, the Apprentice DJ commits to the following:
- Participating as an Apprentice DJ and future Smoothstyle DJ for at least 18 months (and, we hope, indefinitely!)
- Being behind the DJ booth twice per month, at our Tuesday-night event, Ottawa’s Weekly WCS Event
- Not social dancing during the hours of work: for Apprentice DJs, the hours of work are 8:15 pm – 10:15 pm. For paid DJs, the hours of work are 8:15 pm – 11:00 pm (with the option to play later if they wish)
As a Smoothstyle Apprentice DJ or DJ, the individual is encouraged to also DJ for other organizations and events, provided that the commitment outlined above can be fulfilled.
Location: Amigo’s sports bar, 858 Merivale Avenue, Ottawa
The DJ sets the tone for the evening and has the power to keep the floor busy. Smoothstyle chooses (and trains) its DJs based on our trust that they will fit well into our format and guidelines, and our desire to offer variety to guests.
The DJ will:
- Stay behind the DJ booth and will not dance during the stated hours of work
- Remain behind the DJ booth during the shift, except for bathroom breaks and to assess sound quality from the floor
- Follow all DJ Guidelines set out by Smoothstyle and taught by our DJs during the apprenticeship period
- Have his or her own Laptop and DJ software
The Apprentice DJ shall be:
- Trained by one or more of our experienced DJs, and particularly by our Senior DJ, Donnie Neron
- An individual who travels to WCS events and can observe the music played in competitions and on the social floor
- Genuinely interested in and attentive to the music of the North American WCS dance community
- Proactive in his or her listening, research, and analysis of music for WCS dancing
Apprentice DJs are not paid, in return for access to exceptional training and mentorship. The Apprentice period is expected to last at least 3 months, up to 6 months as required.
Once the individual advances to DJ who works full nights without supervision, a graduated pay scale is in effect, starting at $40/night and increasing over time based on performance and experience.
Other opportunities, including DJing at other dance events Smoothstyle runs, may offer pay at a different rate.
To apply, please email Maria Ford with the following information:
- Full name
- Schedule availability
- Relevant experience and confirmation of qualifications
- Two professional references
We thank all applicants. Application is not a guarantee that you will be accepted into the program.