Weekly Lessons & Socials – West Coast Swing
Partner Dance to Popular Music!
Every Tuesday evening at Amigo’s Sports Bar, Ottawa’s West Coast Swing dance community comes together for lessons, social dancing, and fun activities.
Newcomers are welcome every week at 7:30 pm.
Next 3-month Beginner Cycle begins September 4, 2018.
- No partner is required for group lessons.
- No previous experience is required; newcomers are welcome at any time.
- We are an inclusive community.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to register, pay, and change into indoor shoes.
Everything you need to know:
- Prices & Location
- Level Descriptions
- What to wear, what to bring, & how to be successful
- Code of Conduct
NOTE that the beginner class is always the later class (7:45pm). Experienced dancers who take the earlier class are welcome to stay for the following class to continue to work on their basics and welcome new dancers.
Fall 2018-Summer 2019 schedule now available! PDF Download >
Level 2 begins this month!
- 7:00pm Level 2A
- 7:45 pm Level 1B
- 8:30-11:00pm or later: DJ’ed social dancing
Test out your Hallowe’en costume on Tuesday, October 30, our Hallowe’en theme night!
Amigo’s Sports Bar: 858 Merivale Road @ Carling Avenue (near Westgate Mall)
Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to class to register, pay, and change your shoes.
- Leveled classes for everyone to learn and progress
- Ample free parking
- Large wood floor
- Cash bar
- Pool tables
- Student & package prices
- Drop-in class + social: $15 ($10 with student ID)
- 10-night pass – 6-month expiry: $100 ($80 with student ID)
- Social only: $5/night
If you’re a first-time customer of Smoothstyle, you may want to take advantage of one of our new-student deals.
Forms of payment accepted:
- At door: cash (preferred) or personal cheque
- Prior to the event: online interac to email@example.com
Level 1 (A, B, C)
3 months. Learn the basic patterns, along with proper technique from your feet through your spine. No pre-requisite.
Level 2 (A, B, C)
3 months. Deepen your mastery of the basics while exploring more 8-count patterns, pattern variations, and rotation. Pre-requisite: at least 3 months of Level 1 with Smoothstyle, or equivalent by approval of Maria Ford.
1 month. Pre-requisite: completion of Levels 1 & 2; in some cases we may allow a student to take an Intermediate class if they have not yet completed Level 2 – please ask Maria Ford for approval.
For highly skilled social dancers and serious competitors. Only by invitation or audition with Maria Ford.
Drills & Skills All-Levels
Truly for all levels of dancer, these special classes focus on foundational, individual skills and technique with drills and practice. Sample topics covered may include: balance, timing, footing and legging technique, turning technique, musicality, and more. Pre-requisite: Level 1 a.
Scents: Please refrain from wearing perfume or cologne. Check out or tips for how to smell good but not too good when partner dancing.
Clothing: We wear street clothes for West Coast Swing dancing. Jeans, shorts, and slacks for both men and women, plus t-shirts and tops with a bit of design or detailing.
Shoes: You should wear either dance shoes or indoor-only shoes. Notes about shoes:
- Flexible is best – suede soles are better than hard leather soles
- Low heels are best – we typically dance West Coast Swing in 0.5″-1.5″ block heels
- Wear a shoe that allows you to easily pivot/turn on wood floor. Rubber soles can cause injury to knees and hips when turning.
- If you don’t want to buy dance shoes yet, you can put adhesive moleskin on the soles of a pair of indoor shoes. Moleskin can usually be found at cobblers and some drug stores.
- If you sweat a lot, bring a change or two (or five) of shirts, extra deoderant, and a hand towel.
- We always have mints and gum on hand, but please brush your teeth if you’ve eaten before dancing or if you haven’t brushed for more than 5 hours.
- It’s always a good idea to have band-aids in case your new shoes or new movement causes blisters.
- Cash. We do NOT accept any plastic form of payment for the dance lessons/practices. You can pay for food and beverages at Amigo’s using plastic.
Outside beverages of any kind (including water) are prohibited due to licensing and other issues. Please plan to purchase water and other beverages from the bar.
We’ve prepared The Essential Guide to Partner-Dance Etiquette – please take a moment to read it. It includes helpful tips to ensure you become a popular dance partner!
Code of Conduct:
Please familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct.