I (Maria) eat this granola every morning for breakfast, mixed with plain yogurt and accompanied by green tea. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Morning Granola
Yield: about 7 cups; doubles well.
- 1.5 cups nuts of choice, roasted and chopped.
- (I use pecans & almonds)
- 1.5 cups mixed dried fruits (I like raisins and cranberries)
- 1 cup unsweetened, dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup of other good things, mixed – I use flax seeds, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds, mini chocolate or carob chips, etc.
- 4 cups gluten-free rolled oats and/or other rolled grains (I mix the oats with rolled rye flakes when I can find them)
- 1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Line a large pan with high sides with parchment paper (I use a large roasting pan).
- Chop nuts. Set aside with dried fruit and “other good things”.
- Place oats, coconut, and certain “other good things” that you would like baked (e.g. hemp hearts) in large mixing bowl.
- In small bowl, melt butter and whisk in maple syrup, salt and vanilla. Pour over oats and stir to combine well.
- Add spices and stir well.
- Spread oat mixture into large pan with high sides lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes, then stir/turnover oats and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Let cool, then combine with the other good things.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge for up to one month, or freeze it.