- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup corn niblets, drained
- 1 small jar of salsa of choice
- 6 bell peppers
- 1.5 cup shredded Fontina cheese or Monterey Jack cheese, separated
- Optional: sour cream and guacamole
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut off the tops of the peppers and spoon out the ribs and seeds, then rinse. Lightly sprinkle the inside of the peppers with kosher salt and place in a microwave safe dish with ¼ cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes or until they start to soften.
Brown the ground beef in a large fry pan over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until cooked almost through. Add the taco seasoning and saute another minute.
Add the onion and saute with beef until soft. Add the beans, rice, corn, and salsa – mix and heat through. Then add 1c. of the shredded cheese and remove from heat.
Transfer to an oven-safe baking dish with high sides and fill the peppers with the hot meat and rice mixture. Sprinkle the tops with remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until peppers are tender and cheese is browned. Serve hot.