Apple (or Pear) & Ginger Crumble
– adapted from Style at Home, October 2016
The original recipe called for pears, but apples were in season at my local market so I used them – with NO regrets! It was delicious! I also used gluten-free flour.
- 5 firm ripe pears (or apples), peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c. dried crystallized ginger
- 1/2 t. orange zest
- 3 T. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 t. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 t. ground ginger
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche spread, divided in half
- Plain yogurt (my addition)
- 2/3 c. large-flake rolled oats
- 2 T. all-purpose flour (gluten-free)
- 2 t. brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- pinch each: cinnamon and ground ginger
- 1/3 c. cold butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the pears/apples, brown sugar, ginger, orange zest, orange juice, flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Spread into a buttered 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Dollop about 2 T. of the dulce de luche spread evenly over the mixture.
- In a medium bowl, stir the oats, flour, sugar, and spices together.
- Using fingers, rub the butter into the mixture until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Sprinkle the topping over the filling.
- Bake until topping is light gold and filling is bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
- Broil until the topping is a deep gold, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of yogurt and remaining dulche de leche on the side.