– posted by Maria
I eat high-protein breakfasts. They keep me fuller for longer, fuel my energy for a day of work + night of dancing, and prevent me from starting my day with carb overload. Here’s one of these breakfasts that I like: baked eggs-in-avocado!
- 1/2 avocado, pitted
- 1 egg (small size works best)
- Choice of diced tomato, zucchini, crumbled bacon, or other topping – 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon cheese of choice (grated cheddar, crumbled goat cheese, etc.)
- Carve a wide (not deep) circle into the avocado flesh, making a bowl for the egg. Save the avocado meat.
- Option: sprinkle the avocado bowl with paprika and fresh lime juice.
Take a thin slice off the bottom of the avocado half so that it will sit flat. Place it on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and spoon out the yolk. Place the yolk in the avocado bowl. Then spoon in just enough of the egg white to fill the bowl to the brim. (You could also use only the egg white and discard the yolk).
- Bake a 425 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes.
- While it’s baking, dice the remaining avocado flesh and mix with the other topping of your choice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the avocado & egg from oven. Spoon on the toppings and sprinkle with cheese. Return to over for 2 minutes to melt.
- Remove and enjoy with a spoon!