Vij’s Eggplant, Tomato and Green Onion Curry
Loosely based on a recipe from Vij’s restaurant in Vancouver.
- 7 oz green onions (about 8 stalks), washed and chopped (whites & greens)
- 1 C. plain yogurt, stirred
- 1 Tbs Mexican chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2.5 tsp salt
- 1 eggplant, skin on, into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cubed
- 2 C. chopped tomatoes (2 large)
- 1/2 C. canola oil
In a large mixing bowl, combine yogurt, chili powder, turmeric, cayenne and salt. Add Eggplant, tomatoes, green onions and stir well to make sure the vegetables are well covered in the curry mixture.
In a shallow heavy pan, heat oil on medium high heat, for 45 seconds. Pour curry into the pan and stir well. Saute for about 3 minutes, reduce the heat to medium low and cover. Simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking. Turn off the heat and stir once more. Remove the lid if you are not going to serve the curry immediately, or the eggplant will become too mushy.
To serve, ladle curry into a bowl, so that it doesn’t “run” on the plate.
Serve with rice and/or naan bread.