– from Our Homes Fall 2016, by Jenelle McCulloch
I made this with fresh root veggies from my local market and it was DELICIOUS! The recipe recommended a mandoline to slice the veggies but I had no trouble with a good, large knife.
- 1 large white baking potato, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 1 large apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- a few sprigs each of fresh thyme and oregano, stems removed
- 1 T. butter
- 2 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put vegetable and apple slices into a large bowl and toss with olive oil, herbs, salt, and pepper. (I did the beets in a separate bowl to prevent them from staining the other veggies).
- Rube the bottom and sides of a 2-quart casserole dish with butter. Layer the veggies and apples, fanning them as you go. Have fun with how to arrange the colours.
- Slip garlic slices here and there between layers.
- Sprinkle goat cheese between the layers and over top.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and continue to bake uncovered for 20-35 minutes, or until veggie tops turn golden.